Scott Winterroth is a creative communication strategist with over 12 years of professional experience in the areas of public relations, marketing strategy
Marketing Manager – McCormick Place/SMG
(2011 – Present)
- Manage the marketing of the Nation’s largest convention center to support sales and drive venue bookings of large scale events and conferences.
- Facilitate media requests, draft media materials and assist with media event planning and message development.
- Manage and execute the digital social media marketing strategy
- Coordinate photography and creative assets; fulfill media photo/b-roll requests.
- Collaborate with various conventions, trade and public shows on marketing, social media and PR efforts.
- Support the General Manager with presentations, talking points
- Draft and manage the electronic delivery of e-newsletters and customer communication.
- Prepare all-staff events and assist with internal communication.
- Coordinated the launch of the McCormick Place logo rebranding in 2016; launched a new product brand in 2017 – the Wintrust Arena.
- Evaluate web content needs based on user experience and website data.
- Collaborate with external vendors and creative agencies.
Public Relations Manager – Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority
(2007 – 2011)
- Assist with the public relations and communication strategy for the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority, owner and operator of Chicago’s McCormick Place, the largest convention center in North America and Navy Pier, the Midwest’s top tourist attraction.
- Drafted internal and external communication including the Authority’s annual report
- Created and executed the Authority’s first social media plan.
- Worked as a team to draft numerous speeches, talking-points
andcorrespondences for the Authority’s Chief Executive Officer, Chairman of the Board and General Managers.
- Collaborated on the creation of the Authority’s first crisis communications plan.
- Worked in conjunction with the Authority’s Government and Community Relations departments to execute local and state legislative initiatives.
Account Representative – Scofield Communications
(2006 – 2007)
- Participated in creative strategy sessions on behalf of client accounts, contributing to
discussions on tactics, timelines, messaging and the implementation of plans.
- Managed the logistics and coordination of press conferences and other events including community and elected official outreach.
- Work with multiple clients including corporate, non-profit, museums and clients from
the firm’s Latino strategies division.
- Drafted communication materials — press releases, press kits, media advisories, public service announcements, client activity reports
andcreated media lists.
- Assisted with capital campaigns and institutional development.
Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies: May 2006
Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, Illinois
Emphasis: Organizational/Corporate Communication
- Outstanding Major Award, Department of Communication, 2006
Front & Social
Freelance: 2010 to Present
- Maintain a freelance business focused on WordPress website/blog development and online digital marketing strategy consulting.
- Established a lead generation platform to obtain clients through various online methods.
- Work with select clients to stay on the front line of marketing and web trends that creatively challenge my skills.
- Maintain relationships with a variety of creative firms, consultants and freelancers to complete projects based on strategic needs.
Co-Founder: 2017 to Present
- Established a team of collaborators to build an educational resource of original content for sharing cutting-edge digital marketing techniques.
- Content Academy allows us to stay ahead of the game while teaching future generations. hands-on tactics and strategies we have acquired during our careers.
- Publish podcasts related to content marketing and blogging.
Bloggers Meet Startups
Organizer: 2012 to 2017
- Launched Bloggers Meet Startups in 2012 to meet fellow social media influencers.
- Introduced many startup founders and bloggers (Even one marriage).
- Event well received by the local digital and startup community.
- Maintained a database of local bloggers, tech and social influencers for media relations efforts.
- Google AdWords, Analytics Certifications
- WordPress, open source website/blogging software
- eCommerce development and management
- Online Learning and Content Development for Training
- Search Engine Optimization “SEO”; Pay-Per-Click Advertising
- Adobe Creative Suite: Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign and Lightroom
- MS Office, Google Drive
- HTML, CSS
- Photography/Videography, own professional camera equipment
- 3D Printing and Modeling
- Versed in both Windows and Macintosh environments
Awards & Speaking Engagements
- Chicago Web Pros Meetup, Teaching Web Skills, January 2019
- Creative Year Ever! LIVE Workshop, NextDoor Chicago, December 2018
- WordPress Naperville, Gutenberg Demo and Talk, April 2018
- WordCamp Chicago, Tactics for Selecting the Best WordPress Theme for the Job, April 2017
- NIU Al Walker Lecture Series, 10th Annual Distinguished PR Alumni Lecture, October 2016
- How to Market your Book Online; Chicago Self-Publishing Meetup, October 2016
- IABC Chicago, Communications Game Changers, March 2016
- Social Media Strategies for Convention Centers, SMG General Managers Conference, 2015
- SCORE Chicago, How to Grow Your Visibility Online Workshop, 2014 – 2015
- Top Teacher Award, Prezi Bootcamp, Dabble.co, 2014
- PRSA Suburban Chicago, An SEO Crash Course for PR Pros, 2013
- Silver Trumpet Award – Publicity Club of Chicago, Presented to the MPEA Corporate Communications Department for the 2007 Annual Report
- Student Award, Public Relations Society of America Suburban Chicago Chapter, presented to an outstanding graduating senior, May 2006
- Authored an article on Blogging Basics; PR Link, January 2006
- Outstanding Major Award, Department of Communication, 2006
- Outstanding PRSSA Student, Department of Journalism, 2006
- Betsy Ann Plank Promising PR Professional Scholarship, 2005
- Sara Barr Cohen PR Award, Presented to an Outstanding Public Relations Junior, 2005
- Eagle Scout Award, Troop 32, October 2001